Monday 19 September 2016

Thriller films: Codes & Conventions



It’s me again... My first real post about media. Well today I've got to talk about the codes and conventions of a thriller film. This may be a little off-piste but I can't deny that at first I had no idea what I was doing, but a little research never hear anyone. Anyway, I really must get on to the subject itself (I hope you enjoy it more than I did writing it) and maybe it will give you some insight into what it is to make a thriller movie.

Enjoy!

Thriller Films: Codes and Conventions


To summarise the codes and conventions of a thriller are:

-   Dark lighting
-   Tense music
-   A saturation of non-diegetic sounds (such as narration and breathing)
-   Montage shots/Flashbacks
-   Various changes of camera angles (such as close ups and extreme close ups to highlight emotion)
-   The protagonist is often shrouded in darkness from their past
-   Mise-en-scene is essential - it character (especially the antagonist) are usually depicted in dark clothes, whereas the protagonist is often dressed in normal clothes (to make audiences identify with them)
- The storylines are generally designed to relatable for the audiences, which makes it scarier for the viewer, who can relate to the protagonists emotions, and his struggles.



To conclude, most thriller films are quite psychological. They play on the relationships and emotions of the audience to create tension. The use of mise-en-scene to create empathy with the protagonist is quite common, and is something that is utilised in thrillers such as Taken; furthermore, the use of non-diegetic sound adds to the film's atmosphere.


#1T4TS
Alex 


No comments:

Post a Comment